Sunday, October 13, 2024

Bookish things currently annoying me way more than they should but also I'm so incredibly annoyed by these 3 things: 

~my booklist tells me that I bought the first book in a V. E. Schwab series and that I put the second two in the trilogy on my list of books to purchase and I remember looking at them all buying the first one, I just bought the first book in the second following trilogy in that world but seven years later that came out this year but for the life of me now I can't find the first damn book of the first trilogy when I wanted to put them together!! And while I have a lot of books, I have a specific place I put books in series that I don't own all of them yet and it is not there.... It's not with my read or unread books or in my tbr sooner than later stacks and I cannot for the life of me find it. Driving me rather batty. If I set it in some random place temporarily forgot about it, I can't find that place in either my living room or my bedroom.... I will need to ask Mikaela and Crissy if they have seen it as they are the only ones other than my mom who would ever come to my place when I'm not here to check on Spock for me... It's baffling me and making me want to unshelve go through all my books and deep clean my entire flat until I find the damn book -- which is stupid and I don't have time for that this week let alone today but here I am annoyed as hell I have no idea where one book among like the 5,000+ books I own could have disappeared to.... But seriously, where the fuck is it?!?!

~the book I wanted to read next (Peter S. Beagle, Innkeeper's Song) has some followup stories in books I haven't yet acquired so now I need to acquire them before I read this book. Which is fine, but they're all out of print so I need to find used copies and Giant Bones was super pricey, like $21 for a used book in fair condition, for the only copy on thriftbooks and while I found a $7 signed very good first edition copy on abebooks, I've never yet bought from them so I don't know how true that condition is... Also, the only copies I can find of Return (the followup novella) in my quick online used search are all hardcover $40+ which is ridiculous IMHO. I haven't yet checked the local used bookstores for them because letting me go used book shopping without a chaperone is a budget breaker of an idea..... And I need to take care of adulting have to before I completely fuck over my budget by letting me enter any used bookstores....  But also, until I acquire them, I can't let me read Innkeeper's Song which I really want to read so maybe exploring abebooks further to figure out their shipping prices or if I find enough titles if I can get free shipping is the most budget friendly choice here to solve this one... Also this one is actually a solvable irritation since I'm only irritated at having to find other things to read until I acquire the followup stories so it's definitely a better plan to just order it for $7 so I can read Innkeeper's Song then the short stories collections than randomly shopping used bookstores on the hopes to finally find a copy of Giant Bones and acquiring all the books I find that appeal to me along the way 😆 my self control with books is best summed up as: if I keep the temptation at a distance from me I'm fine but I have no will power whatsoever if the temptation is right there in front of me.... My idea of budgeting when it comes to books is that I'd rather live on rice and beans for a while than say no to a book I want to read. 

~the quick read book I just started and will finish today is a super easy read thriller gritty crime fantasy werewolf book (literally it's titled Werewolf) I picked up free in a little library at some point and I didn't think until 2/3 of the way through to check if it was part of a series or not. It's the first in a trilogy BUT the other two were never published in paperback form, only Kindle form, and not even publish on demand can order them. I have a Kindle, I hate reading things on Kindle (my ADHD kicks in and I don't comprehend as well and skip sentences/paragraphs more when I read on screens not physical pages I can touch) and I hate having series in different formats.... Like I'm the girl who will rebuy books I own if an author/publisher changes the size or cover artwork partway through a series because I want the series to all match on a shelf. So having one of a series in paperback and the other two as Kindle versions irks the hell out of me.... Annoys me enough to question if I should keep the book (which I enjoyed enough to keep) because now I can't even look at it without being annoyed at the author having the second and third books in the trilogy only on Kindle..... 

And I am VERY annoyed about all these things. Far more irrationally annoyed than I ought to be. But the first one definitely has me itching to check every book shelf and stack and clean my entire condo until I find the damn book.... (As opposed to accepting I should just buy a new copy whenever I buy copies of the second and third books in the series, lol )


 Anyway. My unnecessarily intense bookish related annoyances aside. Since that last post, of my adulting I have taken care of:

~cashed the check I needed to take to the bank

~picked up Spock's renal food (he seems to like it a LOT, but getting him not to gorge on it until he gets sick is the hardest part of switching him to the renal diet from the vet -- and I can't properly mix it with his regular food because he picks out just the new kibble if I try that; so for now I'm limiting how much of the new food I give him at a given time (since he completely lacks self control with it which is unusual for him) while leaving the old food out for him to free feed and continuing to soak the old food in water for him to have a softened easier to digest option and some water

~scheduled Waffles' annual vet visit and vaccines

~Target run with Mikaela on Thurs where I picked up the things I needed, some holiday gifts that are small light weight and not too expensive for everyone when I go visit my sister's family for three weeks across Christmas, some spooky season decor, some Halloween candy, and six books (but they were on buy 2 get 1 free sale so i really only BOUGHT 4 books even though I acquired 6 new books -- because that's how bookworm math works)

~scheduling my optometry appointment (the same afternoon as Waffles' morning vet visit)

~laundry: towels/rags

Adulting I still need to get done:

~Scheduling the oil change, tire rotation (free because I bought the tires there), and alignment check/fix (we added the lifetime alignment coverage with the tires as it was relatively inexpensive)

~scheduling Spock's followup bloodwork, blood pressure check, and urinalysis for one month after starting him on the renal diet (he's on the Royal Canin Kidney Care A formula)

~taking care of Waffles next supply of heartworm preventative and flea/tick preventative (we used her last doses start of Oct)

~winterizing plants out back (assessing and bringing in the ones that won't survive the temps down to mid-30s starting on Monday, harvesting herbs to dry, drying the hers, transplanting herbs from the box that could survive the winter if brought in) over the weekend

~more laundry (I have a LOT of laundry to wash after so much time not being at home -- btu I won't have a chance to stay home long enough to get it done until Weds between work and SVD assignments)

There's probably more adulting needs doing, but I can't think of it right this moment. Those are the main ones mentally weighing on me even when not consciously thinking about them.


I had other things to write, but I rather forgot what they are. I'm going back to drinking tea and my book that now annoys me greatly because I can't have the second and third books in any format except Kindle format and I have this first one as a paperback I picked up free in a little library. So that's what you get, my current bookish annoyances and an update on the adulting I had mentioned that I needed to get a better grasp on managing.

Back to my tea and finishing Werewolf (and trying not to take my annoyance at the author's publishing choices out on my further enjoyment of the book I do have) and then breakfast and coffee and then work to take care of plants start getting the nightshades and frost sensitive herbs inside and at some point calling my mum to see if we're watching the Packers game with her. Game is at noon but she always watches on DVR delay so if not watching with her I need to put it on at noon, if watching with her can take care of plants then go over to watch it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment