The history/use of mesmerism/hypnosis and all the different people/places it has been used specifically in Christianity in America has been rather fascinating. It's specifically an American phenomenon as far as I can tell, which is also interesting to me... I actually got a little derailed pursuing the question about Deepak Chopra (whose teachings I've never actually read, he's always given me the icks even when people tell me how transformative and centering his works have been for them -- both his pictures and words always gave me the icks. In light of some of what has come out in the files released and watching the new age community squirm and try to come to terms or refuse to around it has been rather interesting. And, it also makes me question what exactly his teachings were and what they may have been gateways to -- but that's not something I intend to pursue at this time, just questions I'm asking. Like I said, he gave/gives me the visceral icks so I don't want to read his words, not even if I were gifted the book(s) or found them free. I mean, i realize that sometimes for answers you have to wade into the minds/thoughts of people who give you the icks -- but I don't desire to engage in that research unless/until it seems absolutely necessary.) Curiously, Quimbyism (and thus Christian Science) has an early take on the concept that illness doesn't really exist, it's all created by the mind and you can cure yourself/others by faith and will alone. Which if it sounds New Age-y, it's definitely made it into modern spiritualist paths.
My cat was most into the chapter on Cotton Mather of all the chapters in that book -- but also his picture in American Witches gave me the icks and so I don't want to search out or read Cotton Mather's diaries or anything any time soon. He also looked really familiar, but I can't quite place who in the regime he reminds me of looks like the reincarnation of his energy... It's been bothering me I can't place it. Griffin also pulled off the shelf with his teeth (tore the dust jacket but no damage to the book itself) a biography on Cleopatra that I hadn't read yet. So I promised him I would read it next buy told him no more trying to pull off in a way that damages the books and he is currently blocked from reaching the bottom shelves of that nonfiction bookcase just as he is blocked off from the lower reference books shelf. he's very excited for me to read the Cleopatra book, has been rubbing his cheek against it purring every time he can reach it and his head swivels around perks up every time you say the name Cleopatra. So far, all the books that he has damaged with claw or tooth have been hardcovers with dust jackets.... I still don't like it but also the two books he has pulled off
I don't have much else to say right now. I'm very excited to see Skerryvore again tomorrow! (today now, lol) Not planning to see them Sunday in Milwaukee area because the Argo is like $46 per person tickets for gen ad and I have symphony tickets that day so wouldn't be able to head out toward Milwaukee until 4:30-5ish. I will be seeing them again though on Thurs the 26th in Green Lake and then again for the whiskey tasting at JJ's on Mar 1. I'm excited to get to see all the Scottish Skerry lads again so soon! Especially since they won't be around here for irishfest season (they have shared other fests/shows they're playing in the UK right during that time period) so I don't know when next they will be back in the area.
Um, I'm sure there are other things I have to write about or ought to say, but that's all I can think of for now so that's all you're going to get for now I guess.
No comments:
Post a Comment