Wednesday, February 9, 2022

I don't care what consequence it brings. I have been a fool for lesser things. I want you so bad, I think you ought to know that I intend to hold you for the longest time.

 Maman drank coffee at like 5pm so then she couldn't sleep so I stayed there late. And then I was almost home, just coming round the curve to turn onto Gammon and I flipped stations and caught "*snap snap snap* Oh! oh, oh-oh-oh-oh oh!" And squee-ed super high pitched, " OH I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!" and then had to drive in circles around the neighborhood singing along and grinning until the end of For The Longest Time. Thus the post title lyrics choice. (Billy Joel FINALLY chased Bolero out of my head for a bit. It's been living rent free for months - soooooo many skaters are skating to Bolero this season.... Brilliant skates most of them, just a lot of skaters drawn to it this season.  Which means that sinuous woodwinds winding around the military percussion have been playing somewhere in my head at some level of consciousness since October.)  

But I promised to share my eclectic book purchases and so I shall share them before the pyjamas and  chamomile tea train pulls into the station. 

I'm going to post just the words first to keep my promise in case the upload dialogue on my phone goes wonky as me being tired tends to cause even greater cell and wifi and Bluetooth signal flux then anything other than my anger. It's whenever my control over my auric energy field and chi slips that it can affect cell and wifi so badly. Usually anger or exhausted, some times just needing an introvert recharge alone time, lol. But just in case, words first then we'll see about uploading at least the first picture. And add the others later if it gets tetchy.

13 books, all of them new, $170 of budget spent on books today.  


4 fairy tales/epics (I didn't know there's a Dumas version of Nutcracker! I just know the E.T.A. Hoffman version and the Russian ballet! And I have two other versions of Beowulf, including the dual language of Old English and Seamus Haney's brilliant verse translation -- but I love Tolkien's style and I'm excited for allllll the commentary!!!!! And this is a classic of Victorian era fairy tale collections from China, it's like not owning Burton's translation of 1,001 Nights. And then the small book of fairy tales is more a page by page summary of fairytale and mythic lore and where those characters/names come from with gorgeous illustrations!) 




3 sci-fi/fantasy/YA (super excited for The Gilded Ones, looked amazing! Must get sequel when it comes out! The Shyster man is first in like a 5 book dystopian series, but premise is good and I loved his Scythe series. He writes socio-political questioning metaphysical and epistemological what ifs to create his dystopian worlds - and the stories are just so so so good! But if you love philosophy, realpolitik, dystopian sci-fi, and don't mind some very bloody violent passages, read the Scythe trilogy! And then Octavia Butler is the first black woman godmother of sci-fi and I don't own these short stories do hers!)



3 classics (I've never read anything by either Maurice LeBlanc or Katherine Mansfield, and they both sound like amazing short story writers and read amazingly! Apparently this is rather like saying you love mysteries but have never read any Agatha Christie. And then I'm super excited for the book of The Black Poets because while I have some of the obvious inclusions like Dunbar and Langston Hughes, most of these are posts and poems that I don't already know!) 



3 nonfiction (I don't actually own any Schopenhauer until now. Different philosophers seem to vary in popularity depending on socio-political zeitgeist and while I have many fiction and other philosophers who talk about Schopenhauer's ideas, I've only read his works in online Project Gutenberg awful formatted pdfs. This is the first I have found him in print in all my years of browsing philosophy sections of bookstores. And then the book on the role of randomness and statistics on our lives is one I've had back of mind to keep an eye out for since hearing Mlodinow on NPR or a podcast or somewhere. And then, the book on London's cholera pandemic. I know a lot more about other pandemics and I know basic history of how cholera in London (and especially infections in maternity wards) is how modern sanitation and basic sterilization and clean rooms evolved in medicine - but I actually only know the highlights reel never delved into that part of medical/scientific history.)



Okay. That's it. Chamomile tea and bed time for me. Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment