So this morning while making breakfast (crimini mushrooms and green beans sauteed in olive oil and herbes de provence then finished with balsamic vinegar and over-easy fried eggs on top - this is a variation on one of my go to brekkies. I don't use green beans that often, I certainly never buy them, but I tend to inherit beans from the CSA box or friends/family meal boxes. These green beans came from my parents' midweek meal box kit and they needed to get used up sooner than the rainbow chard I just bought yesterday at Farmer's Market.) Anyway, I had a momentary self-induced anxiety panic that I might eat too many mushrooms in my diet and maybe that's a problem. After all, in the summer I buy/eat 2lbs of cremini mushrooms every week at Farmer's Market and sometimes buy some large portabella caps and when fresh Farmer's Market mushrooms aren't available, I spend all winter craving mushrooms and 9/10 times I'll make my choices at restaurants based on if the meal has mushrooms in it.
So what I learned is that there are 3 items of concern in eating mushrooms to excess, all of which are among the reasons they're so healthy - the B vitamins, the vitamin D in mushrooms raised with UVB exposure, and the phosphorous. You can also apparently get too much fiber in the diet which can cause bloating discomfort, but that takes like 90 cups of mushrooms per day. however, the B vitamins and vitamin D are water soluble so you'll pee out whatever you don't need and it would take over 24 cups of mushrooms per day to have mushrooms be of concern for those vitamins. The phosphorus content CAN be of concern to bone density if you chronically consume too much phosphorus, but more recent studies have found that as long as you increase calcium in your diet to maintain a healthy calcium to phosphorous ratio, you're fine. It's the ratio that can cause issues of reducing bone density as the body needs to use calcium to metabolize phosphorous compounds, and not the quantity. And curiously, when I'm consuming a lot of mushrooms and beans I always crave more dairy in my diet. Farmer's Market I'm always buying squeaky fresh cheese curds every week - but I do get intense cravings to drink organic whole milk by the pint glass whenever I'm eating lots of mushrooms and beans. (I don't put cream or milk in my coffee unless I want to cool it to drink sooner or the coffee is too bright/acidic a roast without it.)
Anyway, I'd never thought about it that way before to realize it was likely the phosphorous making me crave calcium, but it makes sense. It's not a big deal to me, I've never in my life dieted and I mostly eat based on a combination of what's seasonal and what my body tells me it craves. I'm very much an intuitive eater and listen to what my body tells me it needs/craves to determine meals according to that intuitive listening. And by whatever needs to get used up before it spoils, lol.
The only thing that currently makes me hesitant or order/eat off of dietary restrictive menus is my pork allergy. And that's because never having been bulimic, I hate that I throw up so easily and when my body rejects all food and herbal tea and water for days, it's fucking miserable.
Another weird craving with me: if I'm having coffee regularly I don't desire chocolate and when I have lots of chocolate I cut back on my coffee intake. The two are desired in a balance and if I over-consume either one, I don't want the other and I don't like it if I have it.... I'd guess it's maybe about the caffeine except that my black tea consumption doesn't affect my coffee/chocolate balance nor do consuming coffee/chocolate affect my desire for black tea. Now there are 36 isomers of caffeine and different isomers can affect people differently and tea has very different isomers of caffeine while coffee and chocolate are surprisingly similar. It could also be about the theobromine, not the caffeine...
But anyway, what I learned in my internet researching while waiting on veggies to sautee and while eating was that as long as you increase your calcium intake and stay under 10 cups of cremini/portabella/button/shitake mushrooms per day, you don't need to worry about over-consuming or causing dietary imbalances from too many mushrooms.
(caveat emptor: I don't know from what I was reading today about dried or powdered mushroom in umami seasoning or protein powders though - you could conceivably quite easily have too much mushroom in powder form that you can't in the fibrous form of actual mushrooms. But I don't use protein powders at all and I only cook with umami seasoning in the winter when I don't have fresh crimini mushrooms every week.)
So anyway, that's what living with me is like - random curiosity/concern followed by hyperfixation research until I'm satisfied at the randomest times, lol.
Also. It's been too overcast to see any stars, let alone shooting stars, the last couple nights and probably tonight as well. So no other shooting star wishes for me on this year's Lyrids. Just cloudy though not raining, which is bad because Lord knows we desperately need it. Fire warnings all April and after a relative snow drought (for Wisconsin) the water table is so low that the ponds are 3ft lower than the boardwalks and the marshes surrounding lakes/ponds are dried cracked dirt with no new grasses/cattails coming up, and the creek beds and runoff streams are just dry stones... Birds and wildlife are having a real hard time this Spring so far. A group of 4 male wild turkeys surprised me and my dog Audrey and my parents dog Sophie on a walk in the woods on Thursday. They just wanted water, weren't aggressive or mantle at us and the dogs stayed calm for me. But with the Spring turkey hunting season, they're being extra cautious about leaving the woods right now except at dawn and dusk....which makes the dried out creek beds extra hard on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment