Tuesday, September 10, 2019

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Emma Langford - The Unbearable Lightness of Being


I have listened to this song a dozen times already this morning,  and I put it on repeat in the car when I left home  (grandma texted me all in caps at 8:15am, freaking out while I was in the shower to reschedule errands to tomorrow as she remembered some things with her will she was anxious to get done before seeing her accountant.  So I was luckily able to switch tomorrow's oil change and tire rotation to today. And I'm currenrly sitting at the mechanics waiting room getting that taken care of. With classic rock playing out loud,  but Emma in my head.)

Anyway,  I wasn't certain what I wanted to listen to this morning while getting ready,  but then I read Emma's beautiful heartfelt facebook post for World Suicide Prevention Day.  And I felt such a rush and wave  of love for her and her existence and honesty that I knew I wanted to listen to Quiet Giant more than anything else.... (she's one of my Irish singer-songwriter darlings, knows me from past lives and recognized it called it out first time we met.) Didn't finish the album,  got stuck on the 6th track on repeat.  But that happens betimes.  I'll finish it later I'm sure!

But what's not to love?  Intelligent funny beautiful songwriting with piano, strings, guitar, and flawless vocals!  And this is a love song waltz!!! (I do love me a good waltz!!  And to me,  every waltz but a country waltz is a good waltz!!  Then again,  I can count the number of country artists I can stand listening to on one hand,  lol. The fact 99% of country vocalists twanging offkey causes me physical pain does NOT endear the genre to me.  Whatsoever... Bro country is just mysoginistic racist trumpy and female country vocalists are pitchy af...  (with the exceptions of Alison Krauss and Rhiannon Giddens and a limited number of Patsy Kline songs) female country vocalists are generally the pitchiest of the pitchy.  Nails on chalkboard TERRIBLE when they twang... Mentioning or playing or sharing country music of any sort is the quickest way for me to have an immediate visceral ick reaction then write you off and send me running....Always. always always.  Even a waltz beat won't help if it's country style vocals....)

AND this song is  a love song waltz with piano,  violin,  and guitar that was written and inspired by the Milan Kundera book of the same name!  😍 (love the book too!  Should reread it.  Should look for any Kundera I haven't read or don't own.  Haven't read/reread anything by him in several years,  but he's a favorite contemporary author!  Kundera,  Coelho, and Rushdie are 3 of my favorite living (not scifi-fantasy)  authors!)

Should surprise nobody this song spoke to me is on repeat this morning.....

It's so beautiful though!  Made me tear up with joy at its beauty as I sipped my coffee this morning. Before I put it on repeat,  lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment