Soooo. My 6am til close election working ended up being 6am til 2:15am. So a 20hr 15mins shift. And throughout the day I was introduced to and worked with a lot of the very important people in the structure of the clerks office, lol. Including ones I know from svd trainings. Especially at the very end of the night when it was like a who's who of the clerks office -- it's one of the largest polling places in the city AND we were understaffed to start before 3 said they were sick and then another 2 no shows. We gained supplemental staff throughout the day from quieter polls because we had the line for the poll book out the door for like 3 hrs WITH the book split into 4 for that ward and not processing any absentees in that ward.
Crazy crazy poll working. We had two wards and in both of them, some people were Madison school district and others were Middleton Cross Plains school districts. So 4 ballots and a lot of places to mess up making sure people receive their right ballots. Very much April Fools Day of poll working, lol -- we even had all the lights go out on us at 11pm while still in the midst of reconciling and so everyone pulled out their phones kept working by phone flash light until we were able to get it back on. But I definitely am completely certain that I am being slowly moved up the layers of complicated experience building to fast tracking me toward chief inspector.... I haven't worked downtown which can be complicated as having the most students so new registrations and less consistency in photo ideas, but I've worked some of the highest volume most complicated polling locations I the city.
But also. Our important totals numbers did work in the end and we found the mistakes/errors along the way. AND for this time the things I was most feelings about all came out the way I wanted (except the referendum) and most importantly our state supreme court race!!!
And now, I am well and truly exhausted having been election official -ing for over 20 hours straight and had to be getting up and ready well before that stupid early. I'm currently rather melted into my reading chair with the cat on my lap purring (my mum suggested I not come pick up my doggo.) as soon as the cat lets me up, I'm headed to get ready for bed, now I'm home I'm at the can hardly keep my eyes open stage. but also, because I was staying late to get things right, I was not involved in a really awful collision on the normal main route from this polling place and because the clerks office staff coming in to help us saw it being cleaned up we were all warned to head back a different route. Which was nice. Especially as the skies had converted to spitting some form of freezing rain ick sleet wintry mix mess ....
O Lord but also I want to go to bed now... Debating moving Spock sooner by my fidgeting to annoy him, lol.
Also though, no more elections here until April 2026. So no svd or election official work for me for a solid year. (Not unless the clerks office finds some way to pull me in deeper, lol) And who knows what that year will bring me.
[Post title: lyrics to the Billy Joel song Lullaby (Goodnight My Angel)]
No comments:
Post a Comment