As an author, it's quite satisfying when you sit down with a reader and the first words out of their mouth are, "I'm so angry and frustrated that I had to put this down and didn't have more chapters to read! And then I didn't want to read anything else, not even any of yours -- I just wanted to keep reading in THIS novel, this WORLD. And HOW could you leave me with one paragraph of this last chapter?! Like what? What! Not even where this chapter goes? Just this teaser and the complaint about the beer?" and then end the discussions with, "Bitch, you better have more chapters for me when I see you next. On Sunday. For symphony."
I have to add something to the end of a chapter (a scene I had thought about splitting into a later chapter but upon going through things the other night decided I wanted it at the end of an already existing chapter) and then finish out the Sig chapter and anything else I get written as achievable goal for Sunday. I've spent a lot of this week fleshing out outline and plot points and arcs across the series and when/where this one should stop and being like, "Ooft the readers gonna hate me for this, I hate me for this, but this is how this story unfolds...." But my general plan is that I will get those chapters finished out tonight at least (I can feel the words heavy in my head needing to get out on paper before I sleep and I lose them somewhere in the archive sections of my eidetic memory without knowing how to summon them back to me to transcribe them) before doing anything else. And I think I have the sketch ready inside of me for the next chapter if not the next two.
I plan to take off my bra change out of my jeans into pyjamas, make tea, light a beeswax candle, and then sit down to write and write and write when I get home in a wee while. (Currently finishing up things at work to finish out my hours for this week then stopping by my parents house to bring in the mail (they're at their cabin in Montana til Tuesday) before heading home for the night.) And I'll just write until I either run out of words or my hands ache too much from typing/scribbling for me to continue. Whichever happens first. And then I'll curl up with more tea and a book to read until whenever I head to bed. But I have a lot of words in my head ready to be transferred onto the blank page(s) and that feels good.
As a general rule with my first drafts of any REAL writing, the words just flow through me like a conduit and I know exactly what I want to say and how -- and whether it's a conduit from my subconscious already worked things out or from something bigger than me isn't an answer I have. I just spend a lot of time thinking through what I'm wanting to say and then I sit down with the blank page(s) and the words flow out of me in perfect arrangement for my current need and all I can do is hope that I can keep up with their flow-- the only time that doesn't happen is when something touches my emotions deeply, then all the words disappear. You'll know you've got my head/intellect/connection to the Divine when words flow easily but you'll know you've reached my heart/soul when I have no words at all. So usually, getting to read my first drafts of chapters is like finished drafts of published works and then the rest is just me nitpicking word choice and removing superfluous "that" usage and double checking if I have flow of consciousness ADHD run-ons rather than grammatically correct separated sentence.
Anyway, so that's my plans for the equinox as summer gives way to autumn.
And tomorrow I'm either going to write or come in and get some of my much needing gardening done in office for next week's hours. Because Sunday is brunch then symphony then meeting with Crissy at work so she can block a shawl to dry (her cat has been getting pissy about her blocking her knits on the spare bed so she asked if she can block them at MCW) and give her the new chapters/writings so we can discuss on Tuesday night up at APT before seeing Once Upon a Bridge and then go to my parents house to watch the Packers game DVRed and then depending on timing either go work some more or head home again. Monday will probably be sleeping/working and probably not writing unless I have chapters that need writing in any of the other various novels I'm working in. (The vampire one is the focus to get finished, but I have others that sometimes demand they get my focus -- the problem with ADHD is having more than half dozen manuscripts, none related or even in the same fictional worlds or even written in the same/similar styles, and having difficulty with the part you finish/publish/social media sell the art. And then every 3-6 months inspiration for a whole new novel/series that needs to be told pops up and it kills me not to start in on it and just instead jotting down the outline for it and hoping like hell that I can find it once more when I've finished other works in progress so I can ALLOW me to work on the other new ideas....
Busy week.... Busy busy week ahead, so Tuesday night up at APT may be the only time to actually discuss the chapters from this weekend and then I don't know when next to talk more chapters.
But also, having people who need the next chapters written out for them is genuinely the best way to get my ADHD to write them out instead of getting distracted by life. because yeah, it's hard for me to finish what I'm working on rather than getting distracted by the new shiny novels ready to be written.
No comments:
Post a Comment