Sunday, April 16, 2023

 What is it about laying in bed listening to the rain that is so relaxing? Even if you can't sleep, it's so nice to just lay there in the dark listening to the dancing rhythm of the rainfall. (I slept earlier in the night after sunset, because this entire life across the hours of gloaming when the veil is thinnest are the only time of night or day that I am always wide awake wary can never sleep but it also means that the only times I ever miss a sunrise or a sunset this life is if I'm stuck inside somewhere without windows, and then I woke up as the witching hour approached.) Laying in bed with the windows open to listen to the rolling thunder of storms which make me feel alive with possibility and the rhythmic pattern of the rain is one of my favorite things in the world, it always makes me feel an inner tranquility that no other weather does. 

When I was a kid, I used to lay on my bed under the roof angled above me in my sunshine bedroom (the carpet and walls were yellow, the walls were a delicate floral of diamond shapes with white flowers and light green leaves, it may have been brighter once and faded but it was a mellow lemony sunbeam yellow in my childhood, a 50s wallpaper inspired by Victorian wallpapers) and when I listened to the rain on the roof I would pretend that it was the steps of the fairies dancing their joy and gratitude for the life giving rain the trees and flowers all needed, and that if I listened closely enough to the rhythms of the drops I could discern between them the melody of the fairy song just from the rhythms of the dance.  I would spend hours laying on my bed listening to the rhythms of the falling rain trying to hear the music woven around it and imagining how the choreography of the fairies dancing it would look if I could see it on the other side of the roof and that's how I would fall asleep on rainy nights or nap on rainy afternoons, in a peaceful hyperfocus on the rhythms of the rainfall and imagining the melodies woven around it and how the Sylvan folk would be dancing for joy and gratitude for the life given to all their beloved trees and flowers. And some of that magic glimmer is still there in me, even all these years and science courses later, it's a brightly shining part of the peace and the deep listening relaxation I feel while laying in bed or on the couch with the windows open to hear the pattern of the rain as it falls. 

Then again, I also love to go outside and dance and skip in the rain til I'm soaked through and I still love to splash in puddles when I get a chance. And the way the drops of rain cling to tree branches and blades of grass that catch the street lights always looks to me like the world has been bejeweled with diamonds and starlights. And I love to be in the snow and go on snow frolics til my cheeks are bright red and-- I guess I just really love water, whether it's a calm lake or the ever shifting ocean or all the various ways it falls from the air and days with precipitation makes me playful and tranquil in a way that bright sunny days never do. I think my Pisces rising and Scorpio stelliun are showing there a bit. 😂 But genuinely, I just get so much peace inside me listening to the rain and such intense sparkly joy when it snows. Especially times like this morning when it's too early for traffic or neighbors so all I hear is the patter-splash of the rain and the songs of the sparrows and cardinals and finches waking up in their hidden nests and shelter of the cedars and pines, voicing their feelings about cold rain before the leaves are fully formed on the trees to protect them. 

I'm getting close enough to first light though I won't sleep now.... I should get up and ch as the my phone and go shower now the rain has stopped (until the next cell of this front reached us) and there is only the twee-whoot call of a lone bird outside so that if the sky is gilded in colors between the clouds I won't miss my morning's sky painting. If I could sleep across sunrise then that would be the best choice given I have brunch plans followed by symphony and don't wish to fall asleep during beautiful symphony pieces -- but we now have a winter weather advisory from 7p-10a and they're predicting 3-4" of snow on top of all this rain freezing once the temperatures drop. So I will come home right after symphony and if tired I can nap til the sunset hours before I make a late dinner and hygge it up at home! And whenever I choose to sleep, I can lay a fire to crackle while the beautiful white snow falls outside the balcony doors since the snow is all night and across the morning! O and some music, I do want something to hug itself around the silenced and the fire sounds, I'll have to figure out what but if Spock gets any say in the matter the cat will want piano music. He always wants piano music, I've never met a cat made so happy by piano playing as Spock.  *happy sigh* a week of early summery sunshine to bud and burst the world into chartreuse and a gorgeous sunny blue skies morning for first Dane County Farmers Markets if the season around the Capitol square and then evening heat lightning and thunderstorms to drop the temperatures and then the peaceful light rain with birdsong in the wee hours of early morning as the temperatures descend into the cool comfort of the rainy mid 50s and then cozy delicious food/cocktails with good friends I've know for over a decade now and then cozy warm inside with beautiful instrumental compositions played by a full symphony avoiding the bone chilling damp and then safely home to hygge and watch the beautiful snow by the side of a fire!!! O but I am a spoiled elvish weather witch to get to live in a world that gives me such beauty and gentleness and variety of an April weekend when so easily now that the jet stream is so unstable I could be at the savage mercies of the dramatic weather flooding and fires and mudslides all over the world at this time. I recognize and feel gratitude that I am blessed and protected and spoiled  even when the world is in a time of chaos and rapid accelerated change as Gaia tries to rebalance and heal from the damages done to her.  

And after my shower, while the kettle boils to make a sunrise cuppa tea for myself, I shall check the hourly forecast to find when the fairfolk dance of joy and gratitude for the gift of life giving water will start up again and if the almost discernible melodies around the rhythms of the rain will wait long enough for some visible sky painting this sunrise.

Have a lovely wonderful Sunday, however you fill it! It doesn't have to be in the elvish pantheist fée joyous gratitude from a tranquil playful heart ways of rain and sun and trees and birdsong and flowers and a feast with friends and hours of symphonic beautiful compositions and then the homey hygge of reading with a snifter of whiskey beside a fire in the fireplace with nowhere to have to go while the snow gently falls outside that I have planned for my Sunday. it's okay to be jealous wish you were here for the peaceful play and relaxing beauty of my Sunday, if it weren't my Sunday magic but I heard of it from someone else it was their wyrd I'd be wishing it were my own, but I hope you find joys in the Sunday you have before you with whatever happiness you choose to fill it with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment