O. How did I heal the iron water chemical burn blisters? And without any scarring?
Well. First I have very sensitive skin, generally. I react in hives and rashes and in severe cases chemical burns to petroleum products and palm oil and sometimes coconut oil (depending on how it was processed, which it doesn't usually tell you, so I tend to avoid it.) This keeps me on the "don't use anything" or "use only natural products made from plant or animal oils and actual plants/herbs" regime for any products including soaps, detergents, cleaning products, lotions, etc. Almost any chemical or pollutant and I get incredibly sick. bad enough that my family has always joked that I'm the canary in the coalmine for toxins. But second, I heal WICKED fast! I have a tendency to sleep a lot, A LOT, while healing -- but I heal fast. When I've had stitches, the skin was already growing over them within 3 days of the stitches and I had to have them removed 4 days after getting them. So while certain things can get me really sick, I also heal super fast once the toxins have been removed..
With the chemical burns from the iron rich water, It reached a point nothing would stop the feeling of constantly burning on the backs of my hands or help with the blisters which were second degree by then. (I showered once that visit and was in so much pain, everywhere, that I decided I didn't care how dirty/greasy I got from hiking, I wouldn't shower there ever again.) every expensive or naturopath cream/lotion that any of us had just made them more red and the fire burn worse, the way lidocaine burns on my skin. I was unable to try beeswax (my go to when my hands get dry) as massaging it in to blisters would pop the blisters. The only thing that gave me any short term relief was slathering room temperature organic butter on my hands, but it only helped for about 10mins or so before the burning started again. I reached a point I nearly told them to take me to the ER because the burning pain was so constant and intense, but what stopped me was knowing hospitals and doctors prescribe strong lidocaine for topical pain relief and numbing and I know from the time I put a hole in my leg that took 26 stitches (only 15 external) and from dental visits and from the couple times people have bought neosporin and aloe with lidocaine that for me, both Novocaine and lidocaine cause intense burning along the nerves and creates even more intense pain than just suffering through or having the wound cleaned/stitched without it.... My reaction to lidocaine and novacaine IS part of the redhead gene mutation to pain receptors on nerves. Blunt trauma doesn't hurt, I can fracture bones and carry on, but certain things burn along the nerves. Even cold burns..... So when I had the chemical burn blisters from the iron rich water, I did not go in because I knew that the doctors would try to use lidocaine on it and that would be far worse pain than even the suffering I had then.
Then one time, I went with grocery shopping and I got distracted wandered off (or everyone else moved on to another aisle without me, which is the same thing really) and I randomly found a $22.50 for a 1oz bottle with dropper bottle of certified fully refined 100% pure emu oil from Montana Emu Ranch right there in Kalispell. (you can buy cheaper emu oil, but it's not generally refined to pure quality and/or it's cut with other oils. AEA certification not only certifies the quality of life/death of the birds in order to even be considered for it, but they test/authorize the level of refinery of the oil.) It was the first I'd ever seen/heard of emu oil. And I knew it was the only thing I needed the first moment I looked at the bottle sitting on a shelf in the naturopath section where I'd come to browse for organic teas to drink and for the ingredients for me to concoct something from olive oil, essential oils, tisanes, and herbs. But I saw the tiny little bottle with its eye dropper cap and just instantaneously intuitively precogged knew that despite the ridiculous price, this would work to heal my hands. So without even looking it up online (no cell reception in that part of Whitefish/Kalispell at that point, still dodgy carrier dependent now) I bought it despite my parents trying to talk me out of it due to the price of this untested "hunch" of mine. I started to lose my temper (reining in my temper is always hardest when I'm in physical pain) and told them flat out I was buying it with my own money so I could spend my money on whatever damn foolish thing I got it into my head I wanted/needed. The light above flickered at that and my da backed off recognizing my stubborn, told my mum to let me spend my own money on it if I insisted and we'd all find out together if my gamble was worth it. Immediately upon leaving the store, I opened it to put the first drops on the backs of my hands - and it was like magic how the pain just vanished and stayed vanished til 12 hours later when I stupidly once again washed my hands in the tap water while washing up dishes. Anyway. 1 drop of emu oil on each hand, thrice daily, and in 3 days the blisters were healed. Chemical burn blisters that were continuously getting worse and worse across 7 days til I was in constant burning pain from it.
I've since researched emu oil fairly extensively in the intervening years, though there isn't much good research on it just a lot of claims - but there are some biochemical breakdowns of it. It's been hard to study because efficacy of it varies significantly between some people and others. No logic as to why. But it turns out it is actually THE natural oil with the highest lipid chain titres for providing everything needed to quickly repair lipid bilayers (which is what most cells, including skin cells are surrounded by) and collagen and to protect skin from further damage. It has micro particles other oils don't (including other bird oils) so it can penetrate between lipid bilayers to heal multiple layers of skin damage not just on the surface. This can make it a good carrier for essential oils and other moisturizers and anti inflammatory drugs for like arthritis to get them deeper than just the surface. Apparently it is recommended not to use it to relieve the pain of contact poisons (like poison ivy or oak) as it will make the poisons go deeper in your skin so the damage is a longer heal. But any sort of cleaned burn/blister or skin conditions, it helps. AND it's antimicrobial and has anti-inflammatory pain relieving compounds in it. It's also quite miraculous to take orally for certain dietary deficiencies.
So now I keep it on hand at all times. Because it's expensive if you buy it refined pure, but it's magickal af and a very small amount goes a long way.
I mean. It's a weird viscous milky colored fluid. And it smells STRONGLY like chicken/turkey schmaltz - so you waft an eau de homemade chicken soup parfum every time you move your hands for a while. Which makes everyone hungry and makes any dogs/cats desire to lick you excessively wherever you applied the emu oil.
But it's fucking miraculous for healing skin!! Even better than beeswax!! i have never known anything else like it, in any life!!!! Then again, I've never been born or lived in Australia before and just like ostrich farms, breeding/farming emus outside of Australia is a fairly recent thing.... But still!! It's so magickal! And I feel such an intense debt of gratitude to emus for existing and for the incredible healing properties of emu oil!
No comments:
Post a Comment